Are You Caring For A Loved One With Disabilities?

Whether you are caring for your child, spouse or another loved one with disabilities, your concern for their future needs may be on the back burner. Day-to-day demands can direct your immediate energy away from focusing on their future.

There are a number of reasons for which a lawyer can create a special needs trust. A third-party special needs trust is for the care of disabled loved ones in the event you are no longer around to care for them. If your loved one is receiving Supplement Security Income (SSI), Medicaid and other government benefits, a special needs trust can be beneficial to ensure they continue to qualify for these benefits even if they inherit money or valuable real property in the future.

Special Needs Trusts Are Complex Estate Planning Tools

Typically, a special needs trust (SNT) contains provisions for expenditures from the trust to be for the disabled person's, or beneficiary's, support, comfort, health care or education. The beneficiary cannot serve as the trustee or any other position of authority to distribute assets from the SNT. There are myriad other provisions that may be required to be included in the trust, depending on the disabled person's needs and your family's circumstances.

At Blevins Law, LLC, I leverage my experience working with the Social Security Administration (SSA) as well as the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits, to help Maryland families navigate through the complicated requirements of a SNT.

Contact Blevins Law, LLC, To Work With A Compassionate And Experienced Attorney

Is your loved one set to inherit a lump sum of money from a relative, a personal injury claim or any other source? A windfall of cash could disqualify them from receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits without a special needs trust.

Determining the best path to providing a secure future for your disabled loved one does not have to be a difficult process. I will help you plan for the care of your loved one. Please email me or call my firm in Riverdale at 301-508-9623. I can also answer your questions about estate planning in general.